It’s not just a very sporadically updated blog. It’s now a radio show. The first edition of my weekly radio show for the new WYXR radio (91.7 FM in Memphis, wyxr.org everywhere) was Thursday afternoon.
It was the first time in more than 20 years I’ve done a show. The muscle memory remained, but if doing a radio show is like riding a bike it might take a couple of weeks to keep it from wobbling. There were a couple of times I started a song without having it’s channel set to go live. I forgot to drop my mask when I talked, which is why I sound muffled. And I was a little distracted on the mike anyway because I was trying to remember all the buttons I needed to press and when. I’m expecting at least 20% fewer flubs next week.
The show — every Thursday at 4 p.m. — will be thematic. The first show attempted to reflect the mood of the moment. Next week will be “The ABCs of Love.” You’ll have to tune in to see what that means. You can listen to the stream of this week’s show at the link below (note: the first song on this stream is the last cut from the previous show).
And here’s this week’s setlist:
The We’re Gonna Make It Show
- “Please Don’t Bury Me” — John Prine
- “This Year” — Mountain Goats
- “Badlands” — Bruce Springsteen
- “Buck Up” — Carsie Blanton
- “Seems Like a Long Time” — Rod Stewart
- “Bon Bon Vie” — T.S. Monk
- “Tread Water” — De La Soul
- “Ultimate” — Gogol Bordello
- “Life in Marvelous Times” — Mos Def
- “Hope the High Road” — Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit
- “Good Fortune” — Todd Snider
- “Don’t Ever Change” — Amy Rigby
- “Time Tough” — Toots & the Maytals
- “Michael and Heather at the Baggage Claim” — Fountains of Wayne
- “All the Best” — John Prine