I basically wrote myself out on the companion albums post a few days ago, so this will mostly just be a list.
As with the film lists in the yearly “revisited” posts, this generally does not benefit from rewatches, as time sadly does not allow it.
I did rewatch the two movies at the top, which felt like masterpieces when I saw each of them in a theater upon initial release, and which both fully held up.
While both are critical depictions of obsessive, gifted protagonists from obsessive, gifted filmmakers, they are otherwise quite different,
“The Social Network” feels like the great public movie of its era, with more to say about How We Live Now than perhaps any other film of the decade. If anything, its resonance has grown.
“Phantom Thread” feels like the great private movie of its era, a darkly comic glimpse into the ineffable mysteries of one courtship and marriage.
Top 40 Movies of the 2010s
- The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010)
- Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017)
- Moonlight (Barry Jenkins, 2016)
- Inside Llewyn Davis (Joel & Ethan Coen, 2013)
- Shoplifters (Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018)
- Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)
- Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)
- Certified Copy (Abbas Kiarostami, 2010)
- Parasite (Bong Joon-Ho, 2019)
- Lincoln (Steven Spielberg, 2012)
- Tangerine (Sean Baker, 2015)
- Francis Ha (Noah Baumbach, 2013)
- Short Term 12 (Destin Daniel Cretton, 2013)
- The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese, 2013)
- The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012)
- Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Celine Sciamma, 2019)
- The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)
- Winter’s Bone (Debra Granik, 2010)
- Roma (Alfonso Cuaron, 2018)
- Boyhood (Richard Linklater, 2014)
- Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, 2017)
- Only Lovers Left Alive (Jim Jarmusch, 2014)
- 12 Years a Slave (Steve McQueen, 2013)
- Support the Girls (Andrew Bujalski, 2017)
- The Florida Project (Sean Baker, 2017) (AM)
- Lady Bird (Greta Gerwig, 2017)
- The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
- Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow, 2012)
- Another Year (Mike Leigh, 2010)
- Inside-Out (Pete Doctor, 2015)
- Manchester By the Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)
- Leave No Trace (Debra Granik, 2018)
- Get Out (Jordan Peele, 2017)
- Little Women (Greta Gerwig, 2019)
- Minding the Gap (Bing Liu, 2018)
- The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2019)
- Carlos (Olivier Assayas, 2010)
- Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014)
- Take Shelter (Jeff Nichols, 2011)
- Uncut Gems (Benny & Josh Safdie, 2019)
One thought on “Best of the 2010s: Movies”
Fantastic list, Chris. Nice to see you’re unlike so many critics who are afraid to put 2019 films on their decade list…..